Value for money10.0 /10
- he build of the phone is solid and phone feels good in hand.
- The 6 inch 18:9 aspect ratio display is bright with good colors and viewing angles.
- he rear dual camera and selfie camera performance is good.
- Dedicated MicroSD slot is available to increase the storage by up to 128GB.
- Performance is good and there is no lag in day to day usage.
- Battery is just 3080 mAh and would last for a day on single charge
- The display resolution is HD 720p only.
If talk of market share, then Xiaomi still remains ahead in India. One year ago no one could think that any Chinese smartphone brand could leave brands like Samsung, but Xiaomi proved this to be true and remained on the top of the shipment chart from the last three consecutive quarters. Xiaomi is not paying much attention to the flagship market yet, but you can not ignore his achievement. Looking ahead, maybe around 9 of the top 10 phones in the case of affordable phones will be of Xiaomi.
The reason behind this success of Xiaomi is to provide the user with the best performance and specification at an affordable price. Continuing this success, the company has launched its second selfie-centered smartphone Redmi Y2 today.
Will Redmi Y2 prove to be a new popular phone of Xiaomi? Or ‘Real You’ will be left behind in comparison with your opponent. So let’s look at the quick review of Xiaomi Redmi Y2:
Design and Build
Redmi Y2 is probably the best-looking smartphone introduced by Xiaomi in the past two years. The company is still adopting its triple-layer back panel with which you have a slightly different experience of metal-finish polycarbonate.
Like most of the smartphones it has a vertical dual camera setup similar to the iPhone X, which we will talk about about its performance. Apart from this, fingerprint sensor and antenna line are also provided on the back panel.
According to the modern trends, here’s the 18:9 aspect ratio. The phone is big enough and long enough to use fingerprint sensor, you have to pull a little finger. The redmi Y2 on the front looks similar to the 5-Series Redmi Note. There is enough bezel around the display.
- It is a good step to do something different from Xiaomi’s own triple layer back panel design.
- In Redmi Y2 you have been given a polycarbonate back panel which is slightly curved with the edges. We personally like the look and feel of the phone.
- The display of the phone is 18:9 aspect ratio but there is enough bezel all around.
The USB port is still the Type-A port itself. On top you have been given an IR blaster and an audio jack too.
In Redmi Y2 you have 5.99-inch (18:9) screen with 720p HD + resolution. We used the ‘Automatic Contrace’ and ‘Warm Color’ presets given under the device’s display settings, where we get the default white of the phone bending towards a little blue color.
The device’s display quality is good. HD + resolution also feels comfortable in the base vertex but in this 4GB RAM, you get a slight disapproval of this resolution as the device costs Rs 12,999 and Oppo Realme 1 offers you FHD + resolution in less than this price.
- 720p HD display is good according to quality. MIUI lets you change colors and contrast through the display settings.
- In the software you have also been given a night mode and reading mode which is very good for your eyes.
- Xiaomi has not given Gorilla Glass Protection here.
Performance and software
You got Snapdragon 625 chipset in Redmi Y2. It is a chipset introduced in the past year, in which you do not get some modern features such as dual-sim dual-VoLTE support. Instead, SnapDragon 450 could be given here, but in the case of Y2 Performance, it would not disappoint a common user. But it is necessary to tell here that in Oppo’s Realme 1 you have been given better chipsets.
The base vertex can prove to be a lot better here, as per the price, you get better 3GB RAM and 32GB storage option which can be extended by a dedicated card. The device has Android Oreo based MIUI 9.5. MIUI is a fairly stable and better UI that improves Y2.
- You have been given Snapdragon 625 chipset in Redmi Y2. This chipset performs satisfactorily but can be spoken a little bit old.
- It has 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage in Base Warrant. Top Warrent has 4GB RAM, which seems to be a bit expensive by price.
- You have been given a dedicated card slot in both VERIFI.
- Rdmi runs on Y2 MIUI 9.5. MIUI 10 has also been launched in the event but for some months it will not be available in Redmi Y2.
Selfie camera is the highlight of Redmi Y2 here. The company also gives an tag of AI camera to it here. The 16 MP has been given large pixels in front of the sensor, which makes selfies better. Because of AI based here you can also enjoy software based Bokeh mode. Here you have been given customized beauty mode for India with Auto HDR feature.
The redmi Y2 has a 12MP + 5MP camera combination on the back, in which the given Xtra sensor is for the depth effect. You can use portrait mode on the phone’s rear and front cameras. The image we clicked at the launch event is good at the price but could have been much better. We will not give any conclusions about camera performance right now. Below are some sample samples for you.
Is it Value for Money Device?
Redmi Y2 will be available for sale online on Amazon but is truly a smartphone made for offline market. The selfie camera offered in the device will make it stand out in the top smartphone in the offline market, but talking about the online market, the specifications given in the device are less than expected, so even after using the phone in hand, There is a need for a little more to buy.
Oppo’s Realme 1 is a good option but Color OS does not like us as compared to MIUI 9.5. By the way, Xiaomi has done a much needed design improvement here, which is a good step. Redmi Y2 will have the advantage of reducing options in this segment but the competition is quite tight.